[Vwoolf] Discovering Woolf

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Aug 27 11:24:12 EDT 2013

This makes me realize how fortunate I was. I did a bachelor's and a master's at Leeds University in England, and encountered quite a lot of Woolf on the way. One of my teachers was Arnold Kettle, who has a chapter on To the Lighthouse in his book on the novel, so that may have helped to get it on the syllabus. We were also advised to look at the chapter on the same novel in Auerbach's Mimesis, a chapter (and a book) that has more than stood the test of time. By the time I had finished my master's I had read Mrs Dalloway and The Waves as well. I suppose that the down side of starting in this way was that going on to Night and Day and The Years once I started teaching was something of an anti-climax. But Between the Acts I found wonderful. I think that some neglect of Woolf in the UK at this time may be related to Leavis's lack of enthusiasm for her, but that can hardly explain the neglect in the US. It may be that a comparable lack of enthusiasm on E M Forster's part (aimed especially at Woolf's feminism) also deterred some readers and teachers.

Jeremy Hawthorn