[Vwoolf] Weighing in

Alice Lowe alicelowe88 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 12:17:58 EDT 2013

Time to weigh in on behalf of the diaries. I knew Woolf's work only slightly when I went to England on a 6-month exchange in 1990. There I was in a Devon village, free of all responsibility, between careers, seeking new direction, open & curious. My host's bookshelves were dominated by economic history (his specialization), and old seafaring tales (his passion), but there among them was A Writer's Diary. I took it off the shelf & sat down with it - that was the start of everything. I went from there to the novels, diaries & letters & more, but to this day I always come back to A Writer's Diary for inspiration and renewed energy - the language, the observations, the insights, oh my!

I wrote about my experience, "Discovering England - Discovering Virginia Woolf," for the first encounters feature in the VW Bulletin mentioned earlier in this exchange. I've enjoyed all of the accounts about how people came to Woolf...

Alice Lowe
www.aliceloweblogs.wordpress.com