[Vwoolf] Woolf and Proust

Eric Joyce uncle.phats at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:18:20 EDT 2013

Dear Erica and Woolfpack.

I claim no expertise in Proust, but did read the first two books of "Temps
perdu" because I was told of its influence on "Mrs. Dalloway."  The
connection is palpable, though I can't cite any historical evidence
indicating how direct the connection is.

What I notice most about both works is the orchestration of humble,
ordinary things.  The objects, colors and words
 that recur in both novels aren't fraught with meaning in themselves, but
their circulation among characters gives them currency and mystery.  For
Woolf, this is flowers, waves, birds, words, colors, shells.  They all lack
the singular symbolism, say, of Gatsby's green light, yet they are somehow
transcendent.  So much exists in common to all the characters in "Mrs.
Dalloway," the novel's great sadness comes from their massive empathic
"near misses."  They almost get each other; they almost have something to
say; or they might be shocked to find themselves so aligned if only there
were a way for both to know (as people often point out Septimus' being a
kind of "extreme" version of Clarissa's more "contained" empathy.)

Proust seems to have done something similar.  Every ecstatic artifact, such
as the petite madeleine, a musical phrase, or three trees on a hill, is
only valuable because it opens a connection.  Marcel's recollections and
associations, so incredibly keen, so nimble and particular, remain totally
powerless to explain anybody's pains.  This is the mode of jealousy:
pristine recalls of betrayal's little moments which still fail to surrender
any explanations.  Odette is Odette.  Poor Swann suffers hell for her
sake... until he doesn't anymore.  He disinterestedly picks up an envelope
one morning and involuntary remembers how desperately he had wanted, years
ago, to know the contents of Odette's mail.  The details of his agony
either actually had some understanding of her that he was approaching, or
they never would have lead him anywhere.  Septimus' suffering under the
weight of his ecstatic perception, is either truly attuned to a deeply
human unity which polite society ignores, or else he is alone in his
madness.

As readers, we naturally defend the ecstatic power of the details... but it
probably wouldn't be a very convincing defense.  ;-)

-Eric

www.ericjoycefilm.com