[Vwoolf] Woolf and Proust

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Mon Aug 5 11:59:24 EDT 2013

Dear Erica & Woolfians all,

I know much less about Proust than I wish, but I think a couple things are
really interesting and accessible for a broad audience:

There is a lovely scene in the closing pages of the first section of vol. 1
of Proust of watching Japanese paper flowers unfold in water. It's a scene
that I think Woolf drew on, more than the madeleine--especially, say in
Peter Walsh's memories of Sally's flowers at Bourton.

More generally, Proust shared Woolf's fascination with parties. Like Woolf,
he was a serious, contemplative writer who took seriously the kinds of
social foibles that might unfold at a party like the one Clarissa Dalloway
gives. Knowing that Woolf read Proust while writing Dalloway is helpful: I
imagine that his example fortified her sense that the topic, flimsy in the
wrong hands, had possibilities for greatness.

Woolf's diaries, Hermione Lee, Sallye Greene, and Nicola Luckhurst might
all be places to comb for more.

Best,

Anne

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Erica Delsandro <ericadelsandro at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Woolfians!
>
> My university is hosting a Proust Celebration this fall and I was asked to
> give a short talk on Woolf and Proust.  Admittedly, I know much more about
> the former than the latter, and thus explained to the organization
> committee that my talk would be heavy on Woolf and light on Proust!
>
> I turn to the Woolf community for any suggestions regarding texts that
> might help me put together a light, interesting, and engaging presentation
> on Woolf and Proust.  Please respond off list to ericadelsandro at gmail.com.
>
> Thank you so much!  All very best -- Erica Delsandro

Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of
English<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>and
Women's
Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>