[Vwoolf] De gustibus ...

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 13 14:31:27 EDT 2012

I remember at primary school being asked to write an essay with the subject If you weren’t who you are, who would you like to be?  A remarkably stupid concept, I thought at the time, and still think so.  Of course, I had no idea how to answer it.  I hated stuff like Paint whatever scene you’d like to.  Child-centred education – pah!  Thank goodness we didn’t have much of *that*.

Struggling away, my answer was Hawthorne.  God knows how I managed to spin it out.  Much of my knowledge of Greek myths is founded on Tanglewood Tales and A Wonder Book.  Bet not many British people can say that.

So, it was an intense disappointment to read The Scarlet Letter in about 1993.  Of course, I couldn’t understand the beginning, and once I got going I found it deeply boring.  I finished it, tho’.

Whether I’ll manage my second reading of “Our Mutual Friend”, which I’m currently engaged on, I don’t know.  (I remember nothing of my first reading.)  I feel that this is going to be my last Dickens, unless I reread Great Expectations &/or Bleak House, which I am enthusiastic about.  I do find Dickens unsympathetic.

And so, I have to agree with Virginia, if she really did think this – I preferred You Know Me Al – even tho’ I didn’t understand all of it, being written, as you know, in a foreign language – to The Scarlet Letter.

Stuart