[Vwoolf] The battle of life

Adolphe Haberer Adolphe.Haberer at univ-lyon2.fr
Tue Oct 16 11:29:47 EDT 2012

Dear Stuart,
There is Dickens, of course, but don't you think
that "the battle of life" is a sort of set phrase
or cliché? My mother, whose life indeed was a
long struggle, often commented on difficulties
with a philosophical "C'est la lutte pour la vie
!" She would almost automatically add the
nonsensical "La canne et le parapluie" for the
sake of the rhyme, and I always felt that she was
quoting something she had heard people say when
she was a child.
I was sufficiently intrigued by "the battle of
life" to check "battle" in the OED online and
search "life". Can you guess what the result was?

1653   S. Clarke Life Tamerlane 8   He divided
his Army into three main Battels.

I thought Stuart would like that.
Best
Ado