[Vwoolf] Long Fall letter and E-lerts from IVWS!

Leslie Hankins LHankins at cornellcollege.edu
Sat Oct 13 14:20:25 EDT 2012

E-lerts from IVWS:  Canada to Boston to Canada!

Hi all, this email is packed with information about VW conferences, MLA, deadlines and parties waiting to happen!

Past, but not Forgotten: rave reviews for the dazzling Interdisciplinary Multidisciplinary Woolf Conference in Saskatoon, hosted by Ann Martin! The conference was brimming with ideas, friendship, camaraderie, questing and questioning, brilliance and mentoring. We all came away supercharged for another year of Woolf studies. Thank you Ann Martin, Kathryn Holland and the team of devoted supporters.   (A longer review will be in the Fall Miscellany)

UPCOMING! 2013 Boston MLA full of Woolf sessions, including a new innovation: an IVWS CA$H BAR!
IVWS panels  & events at MLA BOSTON:  When you make those hotel and flight plans, remember, our first panel begins at noon on Thursday! So plan to arrive on time so you miss nothing!

Thursday, 03 January
31. Everyday Woolf
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Back Bay D, Sheraton
Program arranged by the International Virginia Woolf Society
Presiding: Tara Thomson, Univ. of Victoria
1. “Mrs. Dalloway and the Rhythms of Everyday Life,” Adam Barrows, Carleton Univ.
2. “Virginia Woolf and ‘the Modern Blessing of Electricity,’” Sean Mannion, Univ. of Notre Dame
3. “‘Acting Instantly His Part’: Moments of Being (at Work) in To the Lighthouse,” Kayla Walker Edin, Southern Methodist Univ.
Friday, 04 January
338. Virginia Woolf and Katherine Mansfield: New Approaches for Comparative Studies
3:30–4:45 p.m., Liberty B, Sheraton
Program arranged by the International Virginia Woolf Society
Presiding: Elleke Boehmer, Univ. of Oxford
1. “The Sudden ‘Mushroom Growth of Cheap Psychoanalysis’: Mansfield and Woolf Respond to Psychoanalysis,” Patricia Moran, Univ. of Limerick
2. “Woolf and Mansfield and the ‘Masculine’: Relationships and ‘Technologies of Transmission,’” Bret L. Keeling, Northeastern Univ.
3. “‘Gift Enough’: Gifts and Desire in Woolf and Mansfield,” Kathryn Simpson, Univ. of Birmingham
Saturday, 05 January
582. Conrad and Woolf: Crossing the Boundaries of Fiction
3:30–4:45 p.m., Republic Ballroom, Sheraton
Program arranged by the Joseph Conrad Society of America and the International Virginia Woolf Society
Presiding: Kathryn Simpson, Univ. of Birmingham
1. “Secrets, Shadows, and the Sea: Cross-Constructive Selfhood in Woolf’s The Voyage Out and Conrad’s The Shadow-Line,” Aaron Percich, West Virginia Univ., Morgantown
2. “Modernist Lighthouses and Woolf’s Refraction of Conrad’s Narrative Optics,” Susan Cook, Southern New Hampshire Univ.
3. “Indifference, Autocracy, War: Ethical Interventions in Conrad and Woolf,” Rachel Hollander, Saint John’s Univ., Notre Dame Coll.
Respondent: Debra Romanick Baldwin, Univ. of Dallas

CA$H BAR Arranged by the International Virginia Woolf Society
The Fens, Sheraton
Saturday late evening 5 January 8:45-10:00 p.m.
	Please come and help me host the IVWS CA$H BAR at the MLA Convention—it’s a new idea, and we hope it will give us a chance to meet with more of those stalwart souls who must stay around the convention site—and to mingle with the other societies we plan to invite. This Late Night Cash Bar is on site at MLA in the Sheraton, the conference hotel.  We have had such delightful parties in private homes over the years, & will do that again in the future, but the time seems ripe to host a Society of Societies Cash Bar!  So, bring your colleagues and friends from other Societies; Woolf moved in lots of circles, not merely Bloomsbury, and we hope to make new friends, toast the New Year, make and break resolutions, and chatter away with questions and ideas.

Chicago MLA 2014:  Have you thought of potential topics for the 2014 IVWS sessions in Chicago?  Please do!  Post Iconic Woolf?  Woolf & the Society of Others? Other Allied Societies with which to plan?  Stay tuned for the call for topics.

23rd Annual Conference in VANCOUVER:  What are you penning for the 23rd Annual Conference on VW?  The website for the Twenty-Third Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf is now available and the call for submissions posted. http://www.sfu.ca/woolf
This year's theme is, "Virginia Woolf and the Common(wealth)Reader."  We hope to see you in Vancouver, British Columbia from June 6 to June 9, 2013.  Helen Wussow from Simon Fraser University is organizing this conference!

Best Fall wishes & see you soon, Leslie Kathleen Hankins
President, International Virginia Woolf Society
lhankins at cornellcollege.edu
lkhankins at gmail.com

Leslie Kathleen Hankins
Professor of English
Department of English and Creative Writing
Cornell College
Mount Vernon, Iowa 52314