[Vwoolf] The store detective's account

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 3 06:33:06 EDT 2012

“Another theft to-day. This woman—obviously a lady even tho’ she looked as if she’d been dragged through a hedge backwards—was trying on a jacket. The daft thing put her handbag under her mangy fur coat for a minute and then turned back. Of course it had gone. We had seen you-know-who, but it was too late to catch her. This Mrs. Woolf doesn’t have an account with Marshall & Snelgrove’s, so we couldn’t advance her anything officially. More fool me, but I took pity on the poor soul and lent her ten shillings. Hope she doesn’t lose my address—she seemed as if she’d lose her head if it wasn’t screwed on! Talk about vague and odd-looking. Anyway, I found her in the tel. book. She’s something to do with publishing in Tavistock Sq., apparently.”