[Vwoolf] south sea islanders

ANNE FERNALD fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:15:13 EST 2012

Just want to add that I saw Yuko Ito give this paper years ago & really
loved it--so yes, worth hunting down,

Anne

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012, Georgia Johnston wrote:

> A great article on the dress-up parties:
> Ito, Yuko.  “The Exoticised Space in Virginia Woolf’s Parties and the
> ‘Dreadnought Hoax.’  Chubu International Review 2 (April 2007):  9-34.
>
> all the best,
> Georgia
>
> On 11/26/12, Jane Marie Garrity <jane.garrity at colorado.edu <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Hi Anne,
> > The reference appears at the end of "Old Bloomsbury," one of the
> > autobiographical pieces published in _Moments of Being_. I am looking at
> the
> > 1985 Harcourt edition and it is on pp. 200-201. Here's the relevant
> blurb:
> >
> > "The Post-Impressionist movement had cast--not its shadow--but its bunch
> of
> > variegated lights upon us. We bought poinsettias made of scarlet plush;
> we
> > made dresses of the printed cotton that is specially loved by negroes; we
> > dressed ourselves up as Gauguin pictures and careered round Crosby Hall.
> > Mrs. Whitehead was scandalized. She said that Vanessa and I were
> practically
> > naked."
> >
> > Good luck with your project--it sounds great!
> > Jane
> >

> > Jane Garrity
> > Associate Professor of English
> > University of Colorado at Boulder
> > 226 UCB
> > Boulder, CO 80309-0226
> > Jane.Garrity at Colorado.Edu
> >

> > On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:26 PM, Anne Collett wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone tell me where I can find reference to the Stephen sisters
> >> attending a party dressed up as south sea islanders? I recall reading it
> >> somewhere (perhaps in a letter) but now can’t find any trace of it…  I
> >> want to use it in an essay on ‘Imagining the Pacific: Modernist Women
> >> Artists’. Anne Collett

Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of
English<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>and
Women's
Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>