[Vwoolf] VW "quotes"

Adolphe Haberer Adolphe.Haberer at univ-lyon2.fr
Tue Nov 6 03:39:56 EST 2012

Here's one more, from Jacob's Room:

"Either we are men, or we are women. Either we are
cold, or we are sentimental. Either we are young, or growing old. In any
case life is but a procession of shadows, and God knows why it is that
we embrace them so eagerly, and see them depart with such anguish, being
shadows. And why, if this--and much more than this is true, why are we
yet surprised in the window corner by a sudden vision that the young man
in the chair is of all things in the world the most real, the most
solid, the best known to us--why indeed?"

Ado

Adolphe Haberer
Professeur émérite, Université Lumière-Lyon 2,
1, route de Saint-Antoine
F-69380 Chazay d'Azergues
tel & fax +33 (0)4 78 43 65 24
E-mail : <Adolphe.Haberer at univ-lyon2.fr>, <ado at haberer.fr>