[Vwoolf] Wednesday in June

Laurie Reiche p.reiche at comcast.net
Tue Jun 19 13:21:26 EDT 2012

An absolutely fabulous book that speaks to all this is: "Virginia Woolf and the Discourse of Science - The Aesthetics of Astronomy," by Holly Henry. What a fascinating and enlightening read! Fun, too, as it reprints numerous magazine, newspaper, and advertising images from the era  investigated.
 From Woolf's August 1907 diary as quoted in the Henry book:
"Tonight we speculated upon the stars; fancied ourselves moored, one of an innumerable fleet; & saw the earth shrink to the size of a button, its rim over there where the lighthouse marks the sea. This shrinkage was the result of seeing the moon close at the end of a telescope, like a globe of frosted silver…"…

 Laurie