[Vwoolf] Leonard and Virginia--100 years after their wedding

Brenda Helt helt0010 at umn.edu
Fri Jul 6 18:18:01 EDT 2012

Well, I'll take a turn:

As much as I enjoy folks' attempts to undercut Woolf's varied and various
attractions in favor of something more hetero-recognizable, the "exquisite
pleasure" quote is taken rather too out of context to ignore, referring not
to the pleasure Woolf took in holding her husband's hand, but her
brother-in-law's and Vita's:  "Perhaps this shows why Clive, who had his
reasons, always called me a fish. Vita also calls me fish. And I reply (I
think often while holding their hands, and getting exquisite pleasure from
contact with either male or female body) 'But what I want of you is
illusion-to make the world dance.'" (Letters 4: 200)  An amusing
recontextualization.

Brenda Helt