[Vwoolf] Eudora Welty on Virginia Woolf

Sally Greene sally at ibiblio.org
Sun Dec 30 10:35:18 EST 2012

Eudora Welty's home in Jackson, Mississippi has been lovingly re-imagined
and is open to the public. The house is restored to how it might have
looked on a given day in the 1980s, when Welty was in her prime. That is to
say, books are everywhere! Spilling out of bookcases, covering coffee
tables and entire sofas, holding down the dining room table, just
everywhere. A remarkable number of them are by, or about, Virginia and
Leonard Woolf. I had forgotten, if I had ever known, that Welty wrote an
introduction to an edition of To the Lighthouse. A passage from it is on
display in the visitors center next door to the house:

"She was the one who opened the door. When I read To the Lighthouse, I
felt, Heavens, what is this? I was so excited by the experience I couldn't
sleep or eat."

Sally Greene
Chapel Hill, N.C.