[Somean] FA2020 grad course

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 13 12:49:13 EST 2020

See below for a So Mean and Changelings relevant course offered next fall by Anna Babel.

-K

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Babel, Anna M." <babel.6 at osu.edu<mailto:babel.6 at osu.edu>>
Subject: FA2020 grad course

SPAN 8330: Qualitative Field Methods (FA2020, Tuesdays 2:30-5:15 pm)

In this course, you will gain hands-on experience in qualitative research design and execution.   We will discuss a variety of topics and methods, including identifying a community, integration, participant-observation, ethnography, sampling, interview skills, attitudes and ideologies, interpreting cultural artifacts, ethics, and the "observer's paradox."  Most importantly, we will discuss how to construct a convincing theoretical argument based on convergent evidence from a variety of sources.  This class will be of interest to any student who wishes to integrate qualitative data into their research, or any student who wants a structured environment in which to practice these skills.  Students will design and implement several small-scale projects over the course of the class, so be ready to get your feet wet!