[Somean] Fwd: new Accent Bias in Britain website

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 12 14:20:54 EST 2019

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler
Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics
Ohio State University

Begin forwarded message:

From: Erez Levon <e.levon at qmul.ac.uk>
Date: November 12, 2019 at 12:52:58 PM EST
To: "TEACHLING at JISCMAIL.AC.UK" <TEACHLING at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: new Accent Bias in Britain website

Hi all,

(apologies for multiple postings)

We’re writing to announce the launch of our new Accent Bias in Britain<https://accentbiasbritain.org/> website, which may be of interest to people on this list.

The site grows out of our collaborative project on attitudes to accents in contemporary Britain and how these attitudes may affect people’s professional life outcomes. On the site, you can find details of the different surveys and experiments we’ve run, including:

  *   a nationwide survey of attitudes to accent labels (replicating Giles 1970 and Bishop et al. 2005)
  *   a nationwide verbal guise study of 5 English accents (RP, Estuary English, Multicultural London English, General Northern English, Urban West Yorkshire English)
  *   an experiment with lawyers and recruiters in the legal profession, looking at effects of accent on perceived suitability of job candidates
  *   an analysis of accent evaluations in real-time using a graphical slider tool (conference slides available on the site – email us for more details, if interested)
  *   testing the efficacy of 5 different anti-bias interventions (in progress – results to be posted soon!)

There is also general information about Accents in the UK, samples of the soundfiles that we used in testing, and an interactive tool that allows you to explore the data from our nationwide survey on your own. We hope that the site could be a useful resource for you and your students for research and/or teaching.

We will be updating the site over the next few months with further project results, resources and training materials. We will also be posting papers and slides from conference talks as they become available. You can follow us on Twitter (@accentbias<https://twitter.com/accentbias>) to get updates on what we’re doing.

Please also feel free to be in touch with us<mailto:accentbiasbritain at qmul.ac.uk> if you have any questions or want any further information about the project.

best,
Erez, Devyani and Dom

---