[Somean] Intro to Linguistic Anthropology course offered in FA16

Babel, Anna M. babel.6 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 24 11:43:11 EST 2016

Dear all,

I just wanted to let you know that I’m teaching a graduate-level Intro to Linguistic Anthropology course this fall.  It’s scheduled for Wednesday afternoons from 2:30-5:15 pm.  The course is listed as SPAN 7380: Spanish Sociolinguistics, but I’ve always taught it as a linganth course.

Interested students are welcome to contact me for more details.  I will teach the class in English if there is anyone from outside the Spanish department enrolled (as seems likely).

Anna

SPAN 7380: INTRODUCTION TO SPANISH SOCIOLINGUISTICS
FALL 2016 – WEDNESDAYS 2:30-5:15 PM
PROF. ANNA BABEL

This course acts as an introduction to the subdiscipline of sociolinguistics, investigating its development as a field of study as well as its ties to related disciplines, such as anthropology and psychology.  We focus on the relationship of micro-level linguistic variation to social and cultural patterns, linking sociolinguistic variation to larger-scale political and economic forces.  There is a particular focus on research in and studies from the Spanish-speaking world.  Participants in the class are expected to take a critical approach to the theories we discuss, actively evaluating their strengths, weaknesses, and appropriate applications.  Specific topics include foundations of sociolinguistics and related disciplines; approaches to the speech community; theories of context, such as register, genre, and style; theories of practice; discourse and conversation analysis; performance, voice, and footing; language ideologies and attitudes; semiotics and indexicality; varieties and codes, including multilingualism and language contact; and theories of identity.  Time permitting, we may explore other topics that are relevant to students in the class.  This class is intended to be flexible and is open to modification depending on the needs and interests of the participants.