[Somean] Course announcement: Experimental approaches to third wave variation

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 14 18:01:51 EDT 2015

Experimental approaches to third wave variation
Kathryn Campbell-Kibler
LING 8600
TuTh 11:10-12:30
Enarson 206

This course will introduce students to the third wave study of sociolinguistic variation, with an emphasis on the ideas, questions and methods involved in the experimental study of sociolinguistic meaning. We will read and discuss work in the third wave using a range of methods, including ethnography, traditional variationist analysis and experimental work. We will also read work in closely related fields such as sociophonetics, linguistic anthropology, social cognition and cognitive psychology. Issues in experimental design will be covered, with a focus on experiments for investigating sociolinguistic questions. After the first few weeks, content of the course will be dictated in part by student interest.

The course is intended for graduate students and very advanced undergraduates. Students with little background in sociolinguistics are encouraged to contact the instructor for background reading. Grading will be based on in-class participation and the completion of a small research project or a proposal for a substantial research project.