[Somean] [Sbigml] Lecture on "Mindreading" & Social Neuroscience (fwd)

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler kbck at ling.ohio-state.edu
Wed Nov 20 09:47:13 EST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:40:26 -0500
From: Andy Luttrell <andy.luttrell5 at gmail.com>
To: sbigml at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: [Sbigml] Lecture on "Mindreading" & Social Neuroscience

The OSU Social Psychology program is pleased to announce that Dr. Matthew
Lieberman of the University of California, Los Angeles will be giving a
talk this Monday, November 25th at 4:00PM in the Psychology Building room
035.  Dr. Lieberman will give a talk titled "Everyday Mindreading: An
Integrative Social Brain Model" (Abstract below).

Accompanying this invitation is a flyer about the lecture. We sincerely
hope you will be able to attend!

For a complete schedule of this year's colloquium speakers, visit:
http://sbig.org.ohio-state.edu/13-14/currentschedule.php

Abstract: This talk will examine the neural bases of our ability to peer
into the minds of others and infer their thoughts, feelings, and goals.  I
will present a dual-system model of mindreading that involves an initial
conversion of seen movements into actions by the “mirror neuron” system.
Actions, but not movements, imply psychological meaning and provide the
premises on which explicit inferences can be derived.  This second step of
drawing inferences depends on the “mentalizing” system.  Further evidence
suggests that the former occurs automatically and the latter only with
controlled processing resources.  Although dual-process accounts from the
80s and 90s implied multiple systems, non-neuroscience accounts from
Kruglanski and others suggested a single system could support both
processes.  The data I will present will rule out single-process accounts.
I will finish with new findings that suggest the brain was evolved to be
far more social that we would have imagined without the aid of
neuroimaging.