[Somean] SP13 Grad course: Qualitative field methods (fwd)

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler kbck at ling.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 16 09:03:59 EDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------

       SPAN 8330: Qualitative Field Methods.  In this course, you will
       gain hands-on experience in qualitative research design and
       execution.   We will discuss a variety of topics and methods,
       including identifying a community, integration,
       participant-observation, ethnography, sampling, interview
       skills, attitudes and ideologies, interpreting cultural
       artifacts, ethics, and the "observer's paradox."  Most
       importantly, we will discuss how to construct a convincing
       theoretical argument based on convergent evidence from a variety
       of sources.  This class will be of interest to any student who
       wishes to integrate qualitative data into their research, or any
       student who wants a structured environment in which to practice
       these skills.  Students will design and implement several
       small-scale projects over the course of the class, so be ready
       to get your feet wet!  Prof. Anna Babel.