[Somean] Paper for possible discussion

Kodi Weatherholtz kweatherholtz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:01:17 EST 2010

I second Katie's comment. I've been a slave to the subjects who are willing
to come into the lab for my experiment and so have been operating on their
schedules, but I'll be ready for more Grice in Dec.

Also, a few of us were talking about NSF proposals this morning, and I
thought we could use today's meeting time to have group talk time (e.g.
writing strategies, which of the many conflicting sets of instructions to
use, etc.)

Best,

Kodi

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Katie Carmichael
<jemappellek80 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sounds great! I really do want to continue our conversation on Grice, but
> I've been in and out of town this month. I'll be back in action by 12/3
> though. Enjoy Latvia, Craige!
>
> Katie
>

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Craige Roberts <
> croberts at ling.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear SoMeanies,
>>
>> I've just received a paper from a philosophy colleague, Ernie Lapore,
>> "Slurring Words".  (Co-authored with Luvell Anderson, it's to appear in
>> _Nous_.  Below is a link to a recent NYTimes editorial on the subject,
>> with a link to Lepore's website at Rutgers, where you can find a link to
>> the paper under "Works in Progress".)
>>
>> I think this might be of interest to you all, and it pertains to the
>> question we discussed about the relationship between Grice's non-natural
>> meaning and social meaning.  I propose that we meet on Friday, 12/3, the
>> last day of class, to celebrate and discuss Lepore's editorial and
>> article.  Both are short, and I'll provide refreshment.  I'll remind you
>> at the beginning of that week.
>>
>> Off to Latvia...
>> Craige
>>

>> Link to NYTimes editorial:
>> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/speech-and-harm/?hp
>>
>> Craige Roberts
>> Professor, Linguistics Department
>> Adjunct Professor, Philosophy Department
>> The Ohio State University
>> 222 Oxley Hall, 1712 Neil Avenue
>> Columbus, OH 43210

> --