[Somean] Friday: Inter-group relations

Kathryn Campbell-Kibler kbck at ling.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:56:14 EDT 2010

Hey all,

So this week (Friday, 10:30-noon, Oxley 201A) we'll be talking about work
in social psychology related to groups and how group membership influences
perception and behavior.  I've attached three papers, so that folks can
choose their own adventures.

Tajfel et al is one of the founding papers to use the minimal group
paradigm (where you stick people into arbitrary groups).

Brewer is a recent overview of the intergroup relations literature.

Bernstein et al is a recent use of the minimal group paradigm.

Pick one to read, or skim two or three and we'll talk about what these
ideas might have to offer us.

Cheers,

Kathryn