[Somean] Larsen-Freeman and Complex Systems

Kodi Weatherholtz kweatherholtz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:05:26 EST 2009

Hi, Somean-ers,

I hope this note finds you all well.

As promised, here is the table of contents from Larsen-Freeman and Cameron's
book _Complex Systems and Applied Linguistics_.  Unfortunately, the chapter
titles are not nearly as engaging as the ones from _Stance_, but
nonetheless, there is some really good stuff in this book.  I think some of
the most relevant content for the enterprise of social meaning comes from
chapter 6, 'Complex Systems in Discourse,' which talks about Bakhtin, the
dynamics of written and spoken discourse, and the role of metaphor in
discourse (e.g. the conflict resolution talks I mentioned last week that
took place between the IRA bomber and the daughter of one of his victims).
Let me know what you're interested in reading, and I'll scan and send along
the chapter.

If people are interested in a broader overview of how complex systems theory
is being brought to bear on linguistics, then instead of reading a chapter
from this book, we could read the book preview article that Cameron and
Larsen-Freeman published in 2007.  This article is also attached.

The benefit of chapter 6 is that it discusses discourse phenomena in greater
depth, but it assumes knowledge of complex systems from earlier in the
book.  The preview article focuses much more briefly on discourse, but it
provides in a few short pages the most essential concepts from complex
systems theory.  Also, if anyone is interested, I can send out notes from
yesterday's lecture--or I can wait and discuss my notes next week.

Do take care, and I wish each of you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kodi