[Somean] travel writing

E. Allyn Smith esmith at ling.osu.edu
Fri Dec 18 12:06:05 EST 2009

Hi,

I think that our having read the Jaworski and Thurlow article on elite
stance in travel writing may have ruined my ability to ever again read
travel writing.  I was reading the airline magazine on my way over to
France, and it was a perfect case study for their article - every
section title, descriptive word, etc. was designed to make the reader
feel that they'd be isolated, seeing something no one else could see,
something 'native', etc.   (even when they were writing about Disney
World and not Peru).  I couldn't even get through it; oh, ignorance is
sometimes bliss!

Hope you all enjoy your elite (read: 'secret') holiday breaks,  :)
Elizabeth