[KineJapan] permission for using stills

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Tue Jun 7 22:23:14 EDT 2016

Which publisher?

Markus

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via
KineJapan <kinejapan at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Everyone,
> I am writing an essay on Japanese War films. The editor tells me I must
> get explicitly stated permission for every screen-grab still I include. All
> of the films are at least 61 years old. Most are Shochiku and some are
> Toho. I would deeply appreciate any advice on how I go about this, or on
> how to make a convincing case that including such stills are protected by
> Fair Use considerations.
> thank you.
> best
> ej
> Earl Jackson
> Professor
> National Chiao Tung University
> Associate Professor, Emeritus
> University of California, Santa Cruz
> Co-Director
> Trans-Asia Screen Cultures Institute

*Markus Nornes*
Professor of Asian Cinema, Department of Screen Arts and Cultures
Professor of Asian Cinema, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
Professor, School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*