[Heb-NACO] Yiddish romanization question

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at upenn.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:33:53 EDT 2023

Hi, Cliff.

Yiddish romanization is nothing like Hebrew romanization.

In the case below, we’re dealing with a Yiddish word of Hebrew origin, which is “romanized in a ‘Yiddishlike’ manner if found in what the cataloger determines to be a Yiddish context. … the current practice has been expanded to follow more closely the romanization in both [Wienreich] as well as Isidoro Niborski’s Ṿerṭerbukh fun Loshn-Ḳoydesh shṭamiḳe ṿerṭer (Paris, 2012) for most consonants, as well. … Use Weinreich and Niborski as guides for romanization of vowels and most consonants. However, differentiate between כ/ח and תּ/ט, כּ/ק with the underscore dots and transcribe final ה with an <h>.” (HCM-RDA, p. 22)

Looking in Niborski, then, under חתן (we are instructed to search for words without the article א), we see it given as כאסן with a קמץ under the א --> khosn; differentiating between כ and ח and adding the required diacritics yields ḥos̀n; adding the article yields aḥos̀n. As the first word in the title, it is capitalized, Aḥos̀n.

Please let me know if there are further questions. A joyous Sukot to all!