[Heb-NACO] Using LCGFT and LCDGT

Gottschalk, Haim hgot at loc.gov
Tue Oct 24 10:16:24 EDT 2023

>From Judith Cannan:
_____

Chiefs and Section Heads,

Please share with your cataloging staff, thank you.

Hello Catalogers,

You are strongly encouraged to use LC Genre Form Terms (LCGFT) and LC Demographic Group Terms (LCDGT) in addition to assigning subject headings in your cataloging and authority work.  It seems there have been mixed messages about the use of LCGFT and LCDGT. PTCP, in consultation with the Director of ABA, Beacher Wiggins, wants to be clear that there is no prohibition on using these headings.

We understand there is concern about the lack of training for using the vocabularies and ask that you consult the manuals for the immediate term. PTCP is currently developing training for the use of LCGFT and hopes it will be ready by January 15, 2024.  Dorie Kurtz and Amy Phillips are working on this training.   Once the asynchronous self-paced tutorials are available, PTCP will be offering office hours to address questions related to the training, applying, and proposing LCGFT headings.

Judith

_________________
Haim A. Gottschalk
Hebraica and Judaica Librarian
Asian and Middle Eastern Division, Israel and Judaica Section
Onsite Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and alternate Fridays

The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave, SE, LM-537
Washington, DC 20540-4222

Direct: 202-707-2498
hgot at loc.gov<mailto:hgot at loc.gov>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA0663.238DB770]

THIS EMAIL IS NOT CLASSIFIED
Expressing my views. Ideas & opinions in this email are not intended to represent those of the Library of Congress or its staff.