[Heb-NACO] A question on Sacred works

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 11 13:29:32 EST 2023

Hi Haim,
The definition for religious iwork" in the updated RDA Toolkit is a much looser definition than in the first iteration:

"
Religious work

A work that is held sacred by a religion and its followers, or a work that has a direct association with a sacred work.

See also: liturgical work"

Original Toolkit

See A.17.8

Old Testament

Five Scrolls

Historical Books

Minor Prophets

etc.

My sense is that ultimately it will depend onwhich version of RDA you are currently utilizing. I would speculate that after the complete adoption of the new edition that the decision of what is included will depend on individual religious communities to develop best practices If we go by EJ they consider Kaballah as  emodying "mysticism and esoterica. "As such, I would not consider it a "sacred work" even under the new version of the Toolkit. But that is just my opinion, this should ultimate be discussed and decided up on by the AJL RAS Cataloging Commitee.

Thanks, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica Emerita, Stanford University Libraries