[Heb-NACO] ease of cataloging Hebrew records into ALEPH

Cliff Miller CLMILLER at JTSA.EDU
Tue Oct 26 09:44:24 EDT 2021

At the Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, I have been working in Aleph for decades.
Whenever possible, I work in OCLC and then load the completed record into Aleph.

Hope you are all staying safe from Covid, cyclone, flooding, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, wildfire, etc.
Be well,
Clifford Miller

From: Heb-naco <heb-naco-bounces at lists.osu.edu> On Behalf Of Frau-Cortes, Neil via Heb-naco
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 8:17 AM
To: 'Heidi G Lerner' <lerner at stanford.edu>; 'Hebrew Name Authority Funnel' <heb-naco at lists.osu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Heb-NACO] ease of cataloging Hebrew records into ALEPH

Hi Heidi,

Currently I work on OCLC and export to Sirsi, but when I was at UMD we had Aleph. I think Aleph manages Hebrew better than Sirsi but I would never catalog Hebrew records into it. It feels clunky and hard to read, starting by the fact that the parallel fields do not appear in parallel but divided by alphabet. To make things more complicated, Aleph feels like a dark box: it is easy to send things to it from Connexion, but exporting from Aleph, like producing reports, is a nightmare.

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Neil