[Heb-NACO] Lockdown Contingency Proposals

Yaniv Levi Yaniv.Levi at nli.org.il
Tue Mar 31 14:21:05 EDT 2020

Dear Heidi and Neil,

A short update from the NLI on the issues rasied below (not sure it helps but might).

1. Hebrew books (HB): At NLI we have already linked our bib records to the scanned books in HB, this means we have a full standard record for all the books scanned in HB. The issue is that our records are cataloged in Hebrew and do not have transliteration  and the general fields (3xx, 5xx) are in Hebrew. Not sure if that can help american libraries but If there is a library that this information is of intrest to her we will be happy to share. In addition we are planing to share the records through the Alma Community Zone (CZ) and are in contact with ExL on that matter but the same limitation will apply.

2. Other digitized collection: the work above is not limited to HB, but also to other digitized books worldwida, including the YBC (Yiddish book center) collection, Libraries in Germany, Yizkor book (NYPL), Internet archive and others. But again same limitation apply. I would mention that we are working with Google to scan any out of copy rights book in our collection (till now over 40'000) and that will also be avalible.

3. NACO  “provisional” vernacular - at NLI we have connected our authority file to LC, so we have the official hebrew form for the LC forms. This is not true for all authors in LC, but only to authors that published books in Hebrew. You can see the infomration in VIAF.org. If this can help with a jump start will be happy to share.

4. Wikidata authorities for Hebrew personal names - the VIAF information is merged with wikidata, but any additions to Wikidata will be welcome.

BR,

Yaniv Levi-Korem

Head of Technical Services

National Library of Israel

E.J. Safra Campus, Givat Ram, P.O.B. 39105; Jerusalem 91390, Israel

(E) Yaniv.Levi at nli.org.il<mailto:Yaniv.Levi at nli.org.il> (C) 972-52-8600-747 (W) 972-2-6586424