[Heb-NACO] geo. subdivision for Eruv

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:23:05 EST 2019

Good question, Aaron. The title is Toldot ha-ʻeruv bi-Yerushalayim (original bib forthcoming post-BIBCO review), a multi-vol. publ. Dec. 2016-<Dec. 2018> by Ohel Binyamin le-Torah ule-ḥokhmat Yiśraʼel (Yerushalayim). Given the content, my gut reaction was to give a 650 Eruv – Jerusalem – History, but no such luck. Indeed, there is no Eruv—History heading to be found anywhere, though, as Joan said, perhaps there hasn’t been literary warrant till now. For now I’ve assigned

Eruv ǂx History
Sabbath (Jewish law)
Jerusalem ǂx Religious life and customs

But I do wish I could be more specific. There are numerous titles in LC’s database discussing the ‘eruv of Brooklyn, but folks got around it by assigning the above three subjects (though the titles aren’t histories, so just Eruv, without |x History, and Borough Park instead of Jerusalem). A title about the ‘eruv in Har Nof used a 610 for the Va’ad ha-‘eruv shekhunat Har Nof (Jerusalem). There is no mention anywhere in my work of a “va’ad ha-‘eruv” of Yerushalayim, so I’m not concerned about the need for a 610. Given the preponderance of works on the Brooklyn ‘eruv, is there a reason no one thought to make Eruv geographically subdivide-able?

Thanks, Jasmin