[Heb-NACO] copying and pasting diacritics

Miriam Gloger miriamgloger at bookops.org
Tue Jul 24 19:00:26 EDT 2018

I've noticed this problem with WEINB (Weinberg vendor records), mainly with
the Alif and Ayin and especially hypens.  Anyone know of a good way to show
the codes in the record?

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Neil Manel Frau-Cortes <nfrau at umd.edu>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Lately I am encountering a number of bib records on OCLC where a cataloger
> has copied and pasted romanizations from somewhere else. The problem is
> that, even if it displays correctly and it validates, the diacritics map
> and index wrongly.
>
> Example: 1031899969 Ḥorvot min ha-hoṿeh (with the under-dots) was done
> this way. The diacritics, when transferred to Aleph looked like $orvot min
> ha-ho eh : and of course the indexing and searching didn't work.
>
> Maybe it's somebody who copies from another place in order to avoid typing
> the under-dots, not sure. Problem is, when you search for the tile it is
> not indexed correctly and when you transfer it to Aleph it becomes
> gibberish.
>

> So heads up, that's it.
>

> Kol tuv,
>
> --
>
> *Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)
>
> Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger
>

> University of Maryland
>
> 4109 McKeldin Library
>
> College Park, MD 20742
>
> Phone (301) 405-9337
>
> nfrau at umd.edu
>
> ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1881-1405

*Miriam Gloger*
Librarian II  Database Management Team (CMA)

(917) 229-9575
The New York Public Library - BookOps

Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave