[Heb-NACO] Romanization of foreign loan words of Greek or Latin origin

Dickel, Geraldine geraldine.dickel at yale.edu
Wed May 17 11:28:21 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

The vote on the question of changing our policy of Romanizing foreign loan works that begin with an initial consonantal cluster and that are from Greek or Latin origin is complete.  The vote was unanimous in favor of the change.  So hence forth, Alcalay should not be followed in these cases and the an initial consonantal cluster should be treated as a sheva naḥ.

I can create a new document on our cataloging wiki to list these words, or we could add these words to the document “Romanization FAQ”, if people think that that would be useful.  Any thoughts/preferences about documenting these words?

I will update our catalog manual to reflect this change of policy.

Thank you,
Jerry Anne