[Heb-NACO] vote on Romanization of foreign loan words of Latin or Greek origin

Dickel, Geraldine geraldine.dickel at yale.edu
Wed May 10 16:41:17 EDT 2017

Dear cataloging colleagues,

I move to close the discussion of the question on Romanization of foreign loan words with initial consonant cluster that are of Latin or Greek origin, and to call for a vote.

Should we change the rule on Romanization foreign loan words from page 19 of HCM that states that the “The first sheṿa in a foreign loan word with an initial consonantal cluster is generally treated as a sheṿa naḥ. For correct romanization it is necessary to consult Even-Shoshan and Alcalay on a case-by-case basis,” by adding “In the case of foreign loan words of Latin or Greek origin, Alcalay should not be followed, and an initial consonantal cluster is treated as a sheva naḥ.”?

If the vote is ‘yes’, we will also remove the deramah exception from the manual.

The current voting members of the AJL RAS Cataloging committee are myself, Ahava Cohen, Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Vanessa Freedman, Netanel Ganin, and Marlene Schiffman.  Voting members of the committee should email their vote directly to me at geraldine.dickel at yale.edu<mailto:geraldine.dickel at yale.edu>.

Thank you,
Jerry Anne