[Heb-NACO] Transliterating yud heh vav heh

Dickel, Geraldine geraldine.dickel at yale.edu
Fri Jul 14 10:18:30 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

It seems to me that we are in agreement that the unvocalized tetragrammaton should be Romanized in the 245 field as YHṾH.  For a vocalized tetragrammaton, we have several suggestions or options.  To summarize:

  1.  Romanize as YHṾH, i.e. follow the consonants and ignore the vowels in the 245.  Perhaps add a 500 note to say something like: tetragrammaton is vocalized as ______.  (A library that prefers to use variations on words for the deity could do so in a 500 note, e.g., Elokim instead of Elohim.)
  2.  If the vowels are the vowels for Adonai or Elohim, Romanize as Adonai or Elohim, i.e., follow the vowels and ignore the consonants.
  3.  If the vowels are the vowels for Adonai or Elohim, Romanize as Yehoṿah, i.e., follow the vowels and the consonants.
  4.  If it is a modern vocalization, Romanize as Yahṿeh, i.e. follow the vowels and consonants.

I think that, until we have more time to consider the question and perhaps collect some examples, we might need to deal with vocalized tetragrammatons on a case by case basis.

Best wishes,
Jerry Anne