[Heb-NACO] Sefer Tsahot or Sefer Tsahut?

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 18 17:39:13 EST 2017

The plural of tsah is tsahot in E-Sh.

From: Heb-naco [mailto:heb-naco-bounces at lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Yossi Galron
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:37 PM
To: Robert Talbott; Hebrew Name Authority Funnel
Subject: Re: [Heb-NACO] Sefer Tsahot or Sefer Tsahut?

Bob,
The noun is Tsahut - see Even Shoshan, Alcalay and Milon Ariel ha-makif.

My two cents.

Yossi

Joseph (Yossi) Galron-Goldschläger
E-Mail: galron.1 at osu.edu<mailto:galron.1 at osu.edu>  or jgalron at gmail.com<mailto:jgalron at gmail.com>
Tel.: (614) 292-3362,  Fax: (614)292-1918
Lexicon of Modern Hebrew Literature: http://go.osu.edu/hebrewlit

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Robert M. TALBOTT <rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu<mailto:rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu>> wrote:
Folks:

I have a recent publication from Mosad Rav Kuk here at my desk which is a republication of a work by Ibn Ezra.  The issue is that the vocalization for the key noun is ambiguous and works either way.

The title is Sefer tsadi-het-vav-tav.  My inclination is to read that as "tsahut."  However, it may also be read as "tsahot," which is grammatical though it seems a less obvious choice. Also, it seems to be the preferred vocalization in OCLC.

Does anyone out there know or have a better sense of what's traditional re. tsahut/tsahot?

Thanks

Bob Talbott

Principal cataloger/Hebraica cataloger

UC Berkeley