[Heb-NACO] captions

Dickel, Geraldine geraldine.dickel at yale.edu
Fri Dec 1 12:09:41 EST 2017

Hi Jasmin,

I have answered the questions below.

Good luck with your research!

Best,
Jerry Anne

From: Heb-naco [mailto:heb-naco-bounces+geraldine.dickel=yale.edu at lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Shinohara, Jasmin
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:00 PM
To: Hebrew Name Authority Funnel <heb-naco at lists.osu.edu>
Subject: [Heb-NACO] captions

Dear Collective Wisdom, I’m writing to inquire as to what other institutions do for captions in holdings and item records, either in the cases of multi-vol. sets or for serials:

  1.  When a multi-vol. set has ספר,כרך  orחלק  as the volume designation, are those captions (in the language of the work) retained in the 866, or do people translate to English (i.e., the language of the cataloging agency, v. or vol.)? If you keep the Hebrew, do you abbreviate (e.g., s./k./ḥ.1-3) or spell it out (e.g., sefer/kerekh/ḥeleḳ 1-3)?

We use whatever caption is found on the book in the language of the work, we do not translate to English.  We abbreviate only if there is an official abbreviation, e.g ḥov. but sefer/kerekh/ḥeleḳ are written out.  If the caption is abbreviated on the book than we keep the abbreviation.

  1.  If a multi-vol. set lacks a caption, is a caption provided in the holdings/item record in English (e.g., v.1) or in Hebrew (e.g. sefer/kerekh/ḥeleḳ 1), or is no caption assigned?
Captions are not provided, except sometimes when almost all of the volumes in a set have captions, a caption in square brackets might be provided for the volumes without captions (cataloger’s decision).

  1.  If a multi-vol., multi-part set lacks a caption (or only assigns a caption to the first level of enumeration, e.g. ספר א:2), is a caption provided for the sake of clarity? If so, is the caption in English (e.g., v.1:pt.2) or in Hebrew (e.g. sefer 1:ḥeleḳ 2)? Or something else? (sefer 1:2 or sefer 1:pt.2)
The caption is not provided – we would just put 1:2 or sefer 1:2, if the first level of enumeration is given on the book.

  1.  If a serial issue has the caption מס', do you retain that in the holdings/item record (mis.), or change to English (no.)?
We retain mis., and do not translate it.

  1.  If seasons are included the serial caption, do you retain that in the holdings/item record, or change them to the corresponding English seasons?
We retain the Hebrew words for the seasons and do not translate, likewise for Hebrew months.

Generally, we take what is on the item, in the language that is used on the item, and do not provide anything additional, unless it is really necessary to avoid confusion.

Many thanks for your time and input. Best wishes, Jasmin

---
Jasmin Shinohara
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian
University of Pennsylvania