[Heb-NACO] Superwork that's also a compilation

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Mon Nov 14 15:53:11 EST 2016

It seems the compilation has a legitimate title by which it is known.  And if there are going to be multiple works with the same title, you will probably want to qualify them by the subtitle.  “Works. Selections. Date. Work letter following the date if needed”  doesn’t seem to help users, all of whom will be asking for the work by its title.  Once you adopt a rule that  a work is now known by its title, you’ve defeated the purpose of cataloging which is to enable a user to find materials of which the title is known (and that rule goes back over a century - even before my time).

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer