[Heb-NACO] 264 bracketed dates: = or that is?

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:28:35 EDT 2016

Hi Bob,

I looked at the manual under the rule you cited and I do not see that we actually addressed the issue so I will go to the Toolkit.

LC-PCC PS 2.8.6.3 tells us to follow the optional addition:

If the date as it appears on the resource is represented in different calendars, record the dates in the order indicated by the sequence, layout, or typography of the dates on the source of information.

For example if you have a date of publication in the Hebrew calendar followed by a date in the  Gregorian calendar in the same source of information you will record it as [Hebrew calendar=Gregorian calendar] (or vice versa depending on the order of dates).

Also, if you have a Hebrew date of publication appearing in one source of information and a Gregorian date of publication appearing in another source of information you would follow the same practice.

However if you have a Hebrew date of publication on one source and a Gregorian date of copyright or manufacture you would not record theses as parallel dates of publication.

You would record the Hebrew date of publication witout brackets and the inferred date of publication based on the Gregorian date of copyright or manufacture in brackets.

I hope that this clarifies the situation.

Best, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica

Metadata Dept.

Stanford University Libraries

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

ph: 650-725-9953