[Heb-NACO] Ladino romanization help

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Wed Jul 6 09:04:50 EDT 2016

I agree with Lisa's transliteration. As a Spanish speaker with some
knowledge of Ladino and Medieval Spanish, feel free to ask me about the
vowels.

The name פילאר רומיאו-פ'ירי is Catalan and not Ladino, and the group  יאו
doesn't really need to be added to the romanization table because it is
rather unusual in Ladino, except for loan words. The name is pronounced
roh-MEH-oo fe-REH, so I would romanize Romeu Fere.

Regarding intervocalic aleph, I agree that we should not add a diacritic.
To me, the diacritic stands for glottal stop (like in do'ar or sha'ah).
Aleph here acts as a mater lectionis to reflect the diphthong.

Neil

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Shinohara, Jasmin <jshino at pobox.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> Thank you for responding, Heidi.  What are your thoughts about the
> specific questions I’d asked below?  Jasmin

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D.*

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

McKeldin Library

University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Phone (301) 405-9337