[Heb-NACO] Explicit shevas in consonantal clusters in loans

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 24 15:26:11 EST 2016

Folks:

 I just ran into a case that's got me thinking about shevas.  In
particular, the title of the work I'm cataloging right now is samekh
yud lamed nun dalet, pointed as Silend.  However, the funny thing
about this is that there's a sheva under the nun.

I know what they're trying to convey: Silend.  But since there's an
explicit sheva under the nun (and an implicit one under the dalet),
wouldn't that make it: Silened?

This pops up from time to time, particularly with the -izm ending
where sometimes publishers will put a sheva under the zayin.

No matter the outcome, a 246 is in order to account for the variant.

Let me know what you think.

Bob Talbott

Principal cataloger/Hebraica cataloger

UC Berkeley