[Heb-NACO] square brackets

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Mon Nov 16 15:08:30 EST 2015

Hi,

I am encountering a number of pcc (and not ppc) bibs of Hebrew books whose dates are between square brackets, even if they are explicit in the book.

I usually just correct it, but I am finding so many that I wonder if there is some misunderstanding.

I checked with Kathy Glennan and she agreed. That's her answer:

The sources for publication dates are (in this order) - see RDA 2.8.6:

-          The title page [the same source as the title proper]

-          Somewhere else in the resource

-          Sources not considered "in the resource"
It's only in this latter case that square brackets are suggested as a means of conveying that the date wasn't in the manifestation. This is a change from AACR2, so it's possible that not all catalogers have internalized this difference between the two cataloging codes.

Therefore I understand that if a date appears on the verso of a title page, it should not be bracketed. A case such as 775 [2015] to me implies that you found the 775, but not the 2015 in any part of the book. Again, I am talking about explicit publication dates, not copyright dates.

Am I reading this correctly?

Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D.
Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Phone (301) 405-9337