[Heb-NACO] Litugical works

Jay Rovner JAROVNER at JTSA.EDU
Tue Aug 11 10:39:32 EDT 2015

I think that Heidi supplied a definition of liturgy that distinguishes between public worship (accordance with authorized or standard forms) and other forms, e.g., liturgies for the table and the individual. Samaritan prayers are public liturgies. The question is whether the Haggadah has evolved into an "authorized or standard form" and I think it has; it is sort of public while a bedtime Shema recitation is not. A circumcision is public liturgy, but I am not sure whether a zeved ha-bat is.

           JR

Jay Rovner, PhD
Manuscript Bibliographer
The Library of The Jewish Theological Seminary
5501 Library
3080 Broadway
New York City, New York  10027
(212) 678-8045

Please note:  The JTS Library's archives will close on August 1 to accommodate packing of our Special Collections in advance of our rebuilding project. The archives will reopen on January 4, 2016, in the Temporary Library located on the 7th floor of JTS's Kripke and Schiff buildings.
     The Special Collections will close on August 20 for approximately four years. Reference services for the Special Collections will continue throughout this period. Please be sure to check for digital copies of manuscripts and rare books.
     We are accepting appointments until the closing dates. All previously confirmed appointments will be honored.
     For help in finding what you might need, please email sadiamant at jtsa.edu or srr at jtsa.edu with Special Collections requests, or our reference librarians at library at jtsa.edu,  or visit the Library's website.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heb-naco [mailto:heb-naco-bounces+jarovner=jtsa.edu at lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Heidi G Lerner
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 11:29 AM
To: Hebrew Name Authority Funnel
Subject: Re: [Heb-NACO] Litugical works

Hi Elhanan,

Here are the guidelines for the use of "Liturgy" as a subdivison:

"Use as a topical subdivision under individual Jewish and Christian sects and rites; under names of individual Christian monastic and religious orders; and under individual Jewish and Christian ceremonies, rituals, holidays, etc."

Karaites|xLiturgy

has been established so I don't think that there is a problem when you have a Karaite siddur.

So if you have a work with the access point:

Siddur (Karaite) you should be able to use "Karaites|xLiturgy".

Here are the guidelines for "Prayers and devotions"

Prayers and devotions
Use as a form subdivision under names of individual religious and monastic orders and under individual religions, individual Christian denominations, classes of persons and ethnic groups for whose use the prayers are intended; under names of individual saints, deities, etc., to whom the devotions are directed; and under topical headings for prayers and devotions on those topics.
UF 	-Devotions
 	-Prayer-books and devotions [Former subdivision] Use as a topical subdivision under names of individual religious and monastic orders and under individual religions, individual Christian denominations, classes of persons, and ethnic groups for works about prayers intended for their use; under names of individual saints, deities, etc., for works about devotions directed to them; and under topical headings for works about prayers and devotions on those topics.
UF 	-Devotions
 	-Prayer-books and devotions [Former subdivision]

Here is the definition from the subject authority for "Liturgies":

 "procedures prescribed for public worship in accordance with authorized or standard forms are entered under Liturgies.

I believe that the appropriate subject heading for sound recording for a Samaritan prayer would be:

Samaritans|vPrayers and devotions.

This is just my thoughts. I look forward to the comments of others.

Best, Heidi