[Heb-NACO] ha-rofe? (Physician)? ha-Rofe? Something else?

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 12 13:55:22 EDT 2014

Hi folks:

I have a question about capitalization treating an after-name title.  I'd
like to get a bit of feedback before stepping off into the abyss.

Anyhow:

I'd like to upgrade to RDA the record with the heading Jacob ben Joseph ben
Jawb, $c ha-rofe (OCLC AR 475823), but sadly the record is one requiring
review before using in an RDA record. Predictably, the rub is how to treat
"ha-Rofe." I suppose one could read it as the equivalent of something like
"$c (Physician)" though on the surface I'd favor reading it as a title of
some sort.  But since the type of title sways the capitalization rules (RDA
A.31), what sort of a title is it?  One might very well assume it's a
professional title (RDA A.11.5.4), resulting in "$c ha-rofe. " If one
squints hard enough, I suppose one of the other options could work, but
that's a stretch in my estimation when one looks at the options available
in RDA A.11.5.

My concern here is that I may be missing something obvious or otherwise.
 Please advise.

Bob
--

Bob Talbott