[Heb-NACO] generic name title authorities?

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:05:46 EDT 2014

Hi Bob,

Yes, example 1 was the practice under AACR2 and is incorrect in RDA

The rules have changed in RDA. According to RDA 6.4:
Date of work is a core element to identify a treaty. Date of work is also a core element when needed to differentiate a work from another work with the same title or from the name of a person, family, or corporate body.

According to appendix E 1.2.5:
Enclose a word, phrase, DATE, or other designation used for conflict resolution in parentheses.

(In the case of sacred works we precede the year of publication of a sacred scripture by a full stop and a space)

So under RDA the second and third examples are each considered different works. I just had this situation the other day, see below:
010 no2013044403
040 CSt-HC ǂb eng ǂe rda ǂc CSt-HC ǂd CSt
1001 Someck, Ronny. ǂt Works. ǂk Selections (2012)
4001 Someck, Ronny. ǂt Agam ha-barbaruim
670 Someck, Ronny. Agam ha-barbaruim, 2012.

010 no2014137325
040 CSt-HC ǂb eng ǂe rda ǂc CSt-HC ǂd CSt-HC
1001 Someck, Ronny. ǂt Works. ǂk Selections (2014)
4001 Someck, Ronny. ǂt Roni Someḳ seriṭah be-marpeḳ ha-shirah
670 Someck, Ronny. Roni Someḳ seriṭah be-marpeḳ ha-shirah, 2014.

Note that LC and PCC practice require that catalogers add date to any conventional collective title that begins with Works even if we don't need to break conflict.

Best, Heidi