[Heb-NACO] Fwd: Identity of Ephstain

Yossi Galron jgalron at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:08:52 EST 2014

Please reply to Leah Cohen directly.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cohen, Leah <Leah.Cohen at bac-lac.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Subject: Identity of Ephstain
To: "jgalron at gmail.com" <jgalron at gmail.com>

 Yossi,

Could you please forward this to the Heb-Naco list?  Thanks very much,

Leah

Shalom,

I came across a stamp in Hebrew letters of what appears to be: *ha-k. Ary.
Yehudah Levi Epshtain ha-a.b.d. Hamelnik* (not sure which vowel would
follow the het) on the title page and 2nd leaf of “Sefer yede Mosheh”,
Venice, 1597.

Would this be the same fellow as the one located in the LC authority record:

*Epstein, Aryeh Leib ben Mordecai, 1708-1775*

670 Sefer Or ha-shanim, 1978 or 1979:* |b *t.p. (*Aryeh Leyb ha-Levòi
mi-mishpahòat Epshtòain; a.b.d. u-m. ts. bi-kò.kò. Kòenigsberg be-Praisin)*

I think it’s lookin’ good since the names Yehudah and Leyb are such a pair!

Leah

Leah Cohen

Bibliothécaire/Librarian

Collection Jacob M. Lowy Collection

Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / Library and Archives Canada

395 Wellington St., Ottawa ON

Canada K1A 0N4

leah.cohen at bac-lac.gc.ca

Téléphone/Telephone: 613-995-7960 ou/or 819-997-7549

Télécopieur/Facsimile: 613-943-1112

Government of Canada / Gouvernenent de Canada

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lowy-collection/index-e.html *site web
Lowy website*