[Heb-NACO] NAR question (no Hebrew involved :-)

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Tue Aug 12 12:54:15 EDT 2014

This is an interesting question.  The 3xx fields in the NAF are very subject oriented. In subject cataloging we use the current name of a place regardless of how anachronistic it sounds, and in theory change the heading when the place changes (so a heading for "Haifa (Palestine)" would be changed to "Haifa (Israel)" when the larger jurisdiction changed).  However descriptive headings always reflect the name at the time, so a government document from the Haifa municipality from 1947 gets "Palestine" and the next edition from 1949 gets "Israel."

There should be an instruction of the 3xx fields in the NAF on whether to use the current name, or the name applicable when the event or activity occurred?

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer