[Heb-NACO] strings!

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 17 10:39:04 EDT 2013

Goodmorning Manuel

I took a quick peek in Maher, and he pretty much confirms what I thought
when I read your question:  the assumption that the "e" romanization is
intended only for instances of yud as mater lectionis is wrong (as far as
the romanization scheme goes).

I quote:

'Occasionally confusion may arise with the treatment of yod. In such cases,
the yod in Hebrew is romanized as a "y"  only when it is followed by a
vowel ... '  P.12 o' the online edition

Thus, as far as our romanization scheme goes the mater lectionis-ness of
yud is irrelevant.  What matters is whether or not it's followed by a
vowel.

My two cents, always with a grain of salt.  I defer to Those Who Know.

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Manuel Frau-Cortes <nfrau at umd.edu> wrote:

>  Hi all,****
>
> ** **
>
> I have a question regarding the Romanization of the word מיתרים. The
> vowel under mem is a segol, followed by a yud, so it should be “metarim,”
> which is the solution I found in all LC records.****
>
> ** **
>
> However the segol + yud rule is intended to be applied to cases where the
> yud is a mater lectionis, while in the word מיתר the yud is a radical. As
> Even-Shoshan says, it derives from יתר.****
>
> ** **
>
> What to do in a case like that? If there are any native Hebrew speakers
> among us, do you pronounce this yud?****
>
> ** **
>
> * *
>
> *Neil M. Frau-Cortes*