[Heb-NACO] strings!

Manuel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Thu Oct 17 09:25:00 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Romanization of the word מיתרים. The vowel under mem is a segol, followed by a yud, so it should be “metarim,” which is the solution I found in all LC records.

However the segol + yud rule is intended to be applied to cases where the yud is a mater lectionis, while in the word מיתר the yud is a radical. As Even-Shoshan says, it derives from יתר.

What to do in a case like that? If there are any native Hebrew speakers among us, do you pronounce this yud?

Neil M. Frau-Cortes

Hebraica Cataloger
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland