[Heb-NACO] draft letter on handling of rabbinic compilations by a singe author

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 6 14:06:03 EDT 2013

Hi Heidi, Everyone else:

I read through the proposal, and it seems to be a realistic analysis and
reasonable request.  I have often wonder about this myself; there are only
so many hours in a day (fewer if you're saddled with a metric clock).

It might be more compelling to have a clearer notion of what's wanted or
what will work for those of us in the trenches. So: the proposal ends
asking either for an exemption or a simplification, and I was wondering
what a simplification might look like? Every compilation by a single
author regardless of genre = Works.$k Selections (without further
distinction)? Something else?

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Heidi G Lerner <lerner at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Dear Hebraica cataloging community,
>
> I am distributing a draft proposal for the elimination or simplification
> of LC-PCC PS 6.2.2.10.3 when it is applied to rabbinic compilations (see
> attachment). This policy requires that catalogers of collections of works
> by a single author are generally required to make a conventional collection
> title for the resource. I'd deeply appreciate it if you would keep this
> draft document confidential.
>
> After you read the proposal through I would like to invite your comments.
> The deadline for submitting comments to me is Monday June 10, 2013. A
> summary of the comments and further discussion will take place at the
> annual meeting of the RAS Cataloging Committee in Houston. The committee
> members will then  be asked to vote on the proposal.
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you all and seeing you in Houston.
>
> Sincerely, Heidi Lerner (Chair, RAS Cataloging Committee)
>

> --
> Heidi G. Lerner
> Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
> Metadata Development Unit