[Heb-NACO] proposed instruction on conventional collective titles

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:04:39 EST 2013

Hi Bob,
I believe that the answer to your question will be found at the Library of Congress (LC) RDA Training Modules in the group of documents called "R-documents". Within that group you will find R8 "shelflisting." The instruction for your situation will be found in section "C".

A.     Selections of a living literary author

More conventional collective titles for selections of literary works in a single form by a single author will be used because neither RDA nor the LCPSs have the concept of “adequate titles” found in LCRI 25.10. CSM F 633 say to Cutter a collection of a living literary author published for the first time as a separate work.   This policy has not changed.

In the following example, Table P-PZ40 is applied.   The second Cutter, I5, is used to represent the title proper.   The presence of the 240 does not change the classification number.

AACR2 Record:

050 00 $a PS3610.A356437 $b I5 2011
100 1# $a Jacobs, Kathryn Elisabeth, $d 1957-
245 10 $a In transit / $c Kathryn Jacobs.
250 ## $a 1st ed.

RDA Record:

050 00 $a PS3610.A356437 $b I5 2011
100 1# $a Jacobs, Kathryn Elisabeth, $d 1957-
240 10 $a Poems. $k Selections
245 10 $a In transit / $c Kathryn Jacobs.
250 ## $a First edition.